Friday, October 21, 2005

I just had my first look at the Alpha Environmentalist, whose author I was privileged to meet at the aforementioned nuptials. I very much like the general character of the blog--sort of like Ted Nugent if he were intelligent, cultured and genteel, so actually not much like Ted Nugent at all, but you catch my drift. I'm sorry to say that I've never attempted any of the first three things on his list of qualifications for being an alpha environmentalist, but I'd like to submit my application with the following substitutions: (1) I can start a fire with flint and steel; (2) I can clean, load and fire (with tolerable accuracy) a muzzle-loading rifle; and (3) I can make paper out of yucca and milkweed bast. Just to be on the safe side for any corners I may have cut on the remaining eleven, I'd also like to note that I can probably identify at least 50 species of reptile and amphibian, and average over eight miles an hour on cross-country skis. And, although I've never tried, I think I could probably hike almost 20 miles in a day if I put my mind to it. Peculiar and I did about 15 over uneven terrain after breakfast once, and still had time and daylight enough to get a burger in Mexican Hat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home